Moving into a new house is an exciting occasion and the chance for a new beginning. At the same time, a new house may not instantly feel like home. It takes time to settle into your new surroundings and make a place your own. Here are five of our favourite tips to speed up the process.
1. Take a Walk. Feeling disoriented in your own neighbourhood can create a sense of unease. Take a walk or drive around your community to get your bearings. Where is the nearest park located? How do you get to the closest grocery store? Is there a local coffee shop you want to try out? Mapping out your surroundings will make your new neighbourhood feel a bit more familiar.
2. Start a Tradition. A sense of home is often associated with family and traditions. During the first few weeks in your house, start creating new traditions; it could be anything from joining a local book club to visiting your favourite breakfast joint on Sunday mornings. Building patterns and routines will help you feel established in a new community.
3. Decorate. Find time to customize your surroundings. While it is important to unpack the necessities, such as utensils, they will not make a space feel like “yours.” Unpack a few picture frames, throw a homemade afghan on the couch or hang a painting on the wall. Personalizing each room gives a new house warmth and character.
4. Invite Friends. Do not wait until every last box is unpacked to invite over a few friends and family members; they will not expect a new house to look perfect. Hosting loved ones in your home gives you the chance to build new memories and show off your space. You can even pass around paint chips and ask for decorating tips.
5. Make it Official. Do not wait to take care of housekeeping issues, such as updating your driver’s license and newspaper subscriptions. While this may not be the most exciting part of moving, it helps make it official. Receiving mail at an old address can keep you in limbo. Having all your documents and accounts updated makes your new home feel like a permanent change.
We hope these tips help you settle into your new home. Happy moving! And if you are still searching for the perfect house, do not hesitate to view our listings in the Ottawa area and reach out with any questions.